After surgery, most surgeons order pain tablets such as Vicodin or Percocet. These narcotics will help with pain, but have significant side effects. Some patients have hallucinations, many report brain fog. Nausea and obstipation are very common . These medicines cover up the pain do not help with the underlying cause of the pain. For that we should look for homeopathic treatments.
- Arnica Montana is derived from a flowering herb actually found in central Europe. It reduces inflammation and bruising.
- Bromelain is derived from the stems of pineapples. It helps reduce inflammation and swelling.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid is difficult to extract from natural sources and thus it is mostly chemically synthesized. It is a great help in reducing nerve pain
- Ginger is harvested from the rhizomes of the tropical plant. It is helpful in reducing inflammation and is especially helpful in preventing nausea.
- Turmeric is also harvested from the rhizomes. The plant grows in southern Asia. It helps the body reduce inflammation and decreases with nerve pain.
I strongly recommend that athletes use homeopathic methods to help with their postoperative course. This will greatly decrease the need for narcotics and help your body heal naturally. Download the regimen I use, which was originally developed by Dr. Shirin Towfigh, to whom I give thanks.