Jerry Deutsch has kindly put together the following nutrition information:
A Healing Diet for Sports Hernia Surgery
High biological value proteins that are easy to digest:
- White fish: tilapia, cod, dover sole
- White meat chicken, and turkey
- Micronized whey or whey isolate powder for smoothie preparation
Complex carbohydrates: White basmati rice, quinoa, thick rolled oats (which confer excellent soluble fiber) yams and sweet potatoes, winter squashes such as acorn, butternut and delicata varieties. Ezekiel bread (fully sprouted).
Fats: coconut oil, olive, high oleic safflower oil and flax seed oil (for salad and cold foods). Butter and ghee (clarified butter) are also fine.
Steamed cruciferous vegetables for bulk: Broccoli, cauliflower, kale, collard greens. Reasonably well cooked for the purpose of easy digestion.
Additional soft foods for protein and healing: Hummus and cottage cheese.
Raw vegetable juices for enzymes and vitamins; also help to soften stool in the first several days: Carrot, celery, beet, parsley and spinach.
Fruits: Tart green apple, pears and papaya are best for their fiber; also high antioxidant dark berries such as blueberries, boysenberries and blackberries (frozen is acceptable) can be added to smoothies.
Rice and nut milks are excellent base for smoothies. Avoid soy as it is more allergenic and can cause inflammation.
Avoid the following pro-inflammatory foods while healing:
- Nightshade vegetables: potatoes, eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, paprika.
- Peanuts (in spite of being a good protein source are not always appropriate for many individuals while healing). Soy in any form except miso soup.
It is a good idea to follow this diet for the first week or two after surgery and to consider its implementation a few days prior in order to ready the body to heal efficiently.
Best to chew food very well always but especially while healing from surgery to promote easy digestion and elimination.
Supplements to consider for long term healing once pain meds have been stopped:
- Bromelain 500 mg, Curcumin 500 mg and Boswellia 300 mg. All three may be taken together on empty stomach three times per day to help counter swelling and accelerate healing.
- Omega-3 fish oil 1,000 mg and B complex 50 mg should also be considered to help overall healing. These should be taken with meals three times per day.