Sports Hernia Rehabilitation Program – 6-9 Weeks
Post Operative – Weeks 1, 2, 3
- Gentle walking four times per day
- Gentle stretching
- Sex is OK
Post Operative – Weeks 4, 5, 6
- Jogging and gentle running in straight lines
- Gentle sit-ups with the knees bent
- Step ups
- Aerobic exercises
Post Operative – Weeks 7, 8, 9
- Play your sport as the strength returns
- In the first six weeks, exercise only within limits of mild pain.
- Listen to your body; if you are having pain stop.
- Stiffness and discomfort will occur after vigorous exercise for about nine weeks.
- The pain is usually at the operative site, but pain in the abdominal wall and the adductor tendon insertion is common.
- There will be a hard swelling at the operative site for about nine weeks. This is part of the natural healing process.
- Most athletes return to playing between nine and twelve weeks
Learn more about Dr. Brown’s approach to the treatment of sports hernias or contact Dr. Brown for additional information.