Preoperative Sports Hernia Instructions
Seven Days Before Surgery
- Medications that thin the blood should be stopped.
- Call Dr Brown to discuss how to best stop blood thinners.
The Day Before Surgery
- Do not eat or drink anything after 10 PM.
- The anesthesiologist may call.
- Shave the hair from around the operative site.
- Fill your pain medication prescription.
- Buy some Milk of Magnesia (for constipation).
- Buy some Hibiclens (an over the counter antiseptic soap).
The Morning of Surgery
- Do not eat or drink anything.
- You may take your usual medications with a sip of water.
- Shower and wash the skin with Hibiclens (an over the counter antiseptic soap).
- Brush your teeth (this will decrease the bacterial count in your mouth).
- Bring a list of your medications and allergies.
- Wear loose clothes.
- You will need a responsible adult to drive you home (not a taxi).
Download a printable version of the pre and post-operative sports hernia instructions here.
email or call (650) 703-9694.